In a Nutshell
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Tribe Engineering Manager is responsible for the quality, speed and sustainability of Products that are delivered. They manage delivery timelines, schedule expectations and track progress to ensure the Product/s are delivered within scope, to time and cost. The Tribe Engineering Manager is responsible for a Tribe of Squads or a number of squads.
- Working in partnership with the different Product Managers to manage engineering delivery timelines and scheduling expectations. This may include Product Portfolio areas, or Domain Aligned areas each with their own complexity.
- Working closely with the Product Architect to understand the technical detail which provides an awareness of the risks and allows the necessary support needed to support engineering teams so they can make safe mistakes, and learn, but avoid the more serious ones.
- Working with the engineering teams to define and prioritise the technical debt within domain area alongside other pressing demands.
- Tracking, monitoring and reporting on delivery metrics and management information including backlog stability, burndowns and forecasts, defects and test coverage to ensure the Product/s are delivered within scope, to time and cost.
- Working with the Agile Enablement team to adopt tools and methodologies, driving efficiencies within the squad/s.
- Continuously seeking new ways to improve delivery performance which includes reviewing team processes (agile, reporting & interactions with other teams)
- Ensuring engineering teams follow best in class standards e.g., coding, test coverage, automation, config management and building pipelines.
- Working with the Product Manager to achieve a transparent, open and honest culture, where the Product and Engineering skills work extremely well together, communicating as one team.
- Proactively facilitate reviews on the Product Roadmap and technical back log.
- Contributing to Guilds/communities of Practice to share knowledge and experience
- Driving a positive culture of engagement and always presenting a 'glass half full' attitude, removing the obstacles in the way and ensuring a positive and engaged team.
- Leading and motivating the Engineering Teams to achieve goals against the delivery schedules, regularly cascading information and reporting progress.
- Managing, coaching and supporting the Engineering Managers including timely completion of performance reviews and PDPs.
- Adding value to the experience of our clients, colleagues and other relevant stakeholders through practicing and promoting the ENSEK values.
- Promoting and maintaining a positive, results orientated work environment, building partnerships and teamwork across ENSEK.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is key
- Ability to manage, coach, support and direct teams
- Excellent communicator with the ability to listen, collaborate and influence others
- A problem solver who is able to facilitate timely decisions
- Experience in managing and delivering projects, prioritising to ensure alignment with delivery timelines
- Client focused approach, utilising knowledge and experience, demonstrating outstanding levels of diplomacy and tact
- Values the importance of teamwork, with experience of working in a remote team being advantageous
- Proven ability to engage with and develop strong relationships with customers and stakeholders
- Experience of working in an agile environment and from within the Energy/Utilities would be advantageous but not essential